Monday 6 April 2015

Easter Traditions - Part Three

This one is about an Easter tradition I had as a kid.


When I was a very young dragon, I would spend Easter at my grandmother's house. For the most part, she was totally awesome. In fact, she was a pushover and spoiled me rotten. Our tradition was the Easter Egg Hunt. She would hide the chocolate goodies around the house and garden for me to find. Yay! Loads of chocolate for me stuff into my tiny little mouth. I just had to find them first.


It would become obvious in the years to come that my grandmother was not an awesome pushover, but was actually pure evil. And very patient in her evilness, too. Those sweets and chocolates she kept giving me was a plan to give me diabetes in later life. Seriously. I wouldn't put it past her.


Anyways, one Easter she told me I had 1 large egg, 1 medium egg and three small Cadbury Crème Eggs. Chocolate galore. But, I still had to find those little buggers.


The medium egg was pretty easy to locate. It was behind the settee. Not very well hidden at all. My gran was useless at hiding these things. I'd be able to stuff my face full in mere minutes.


One of the Cadbury Crème eggs was in a dish on the cabinet. Easy-peasy.


The large egg was large. There weren't many places it could be hidden. And the bulge emanating from the curtains directed me to have a peak. Yep, it was there. Five minutes into the hunt and I only had two more tiny eggs to find.


"Try the garden," my gran whispered. So out I went. And, sure enough, the next egg was found sleeping in the wheelbarrow.


One more to go.


However, I couldn't find it. An hour passed, and still nothing. Another fifteen minutes, and still this egg eluded me. I had no choice. I had to ask for help.


"I'm not sure where I hid it," said Grandma. "Keep going, though. You'll find it eventually."


I kept going. And going. And going.


Three hours later, my grandfather comes home from the pub. Gran asks him where the last egg was lurking. "What last egg?" he asked, glancing at the treasure on the table. "He found them all. I only bought two Cadbury Crème Eggs, not three."


My gran may have looked horrified and innocent about this honest mistake, but I always knew she did it deliberately. It was all part of some unknown evil plan. Because Grandma's are, after all, all evil.


She even sent my grandfather back out to the shops to pick me up another two Crème Eggs, just to "Make Up" for the mistake. How evil is that? Her diabetes plan in action.


Plus, that still only made six eggs. Only Six Eggs! 


Easter Egg Fact Number 6 (Click here for the other five): In the UK, each child gets an average of 8.8 Easter eggs every year. Yes, 8.8 Easter Eggs. That's almost nine. I only got six.


How many did you get?


Check out the final instalment of Easter Traditions - Part 4.

No comments: