Tuesday 19 April 2016

On this day fact April 19

On this day in history in 1770, Captain James Cook, intrepid English explorer, cheated at a game of I-spy.

It was a day like any other. The first round went well for the crew.
 
B is for Barnacle.
 
They congratulate each other.
 
Captain Cook guessed correctly in the next round.
 
M is for Mast.
 
It was time for the decider.
 
Captain Cook picked up his I-spy-glass, looks around the ocean, and says, "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with A."
 
The crew took it in turns to guess.
 
"A is for Apple."
 
"Nope."
 
"A is for Apple."
 
"Nope, you just said that."
 
"Anyone else wanna guess?"
 
Spock piped up, "Is A for Apple, Captain?"
 
Captain Kirk, oops, I mean Captain Cook, shook his head. "No, Commander, A is for Australia."
 
The crew are aghast. What the heck was Australia?
 
Blow me down with a gassy hedgehog if it wasn't the first time any European had encountered the land mass. They had no idea it was there. So, why would they even try to guess Australia? It should have been Apple.
 
Captain Cook definitely cheated.

No comments: